WHAT TO DO IF YOU SMELL GAS
1. NO FLAMES OR SPARKS! Immediately put out all smoking materials and other open flames. Do not operate appliances, telephones, or cell phones. Do not turn lights or flashlights on or off. Flames or sparks from these sources can trigger a fire or explosion.
2. LEAVE THE AREA IMMEDIATELY! Get everyone out of the building or area where you suspect gas is leaking.
3. SHUT OFF THE GAS. If it is safe to do so, turn off all cylinder or tank supply valves. To close the valve turn it CLOCKWISE (to the right).
4. REPORT THE LEAK. From a safe location away from the gas leak, the Propane Energy Partners 24 Hour Emergency Contact Number 800-365-7427. If necessary call 911 or your local fire department.
5. DO NOT RETURN TO THE BUILDING OR AREA until a Propane Energy Partners representative or emergency department personnel have told you it is safe to do so.
6. GET YOUR SYSTEM CHECKED. BEFORE YOU RESTART PROPANE APPLIANCES have a qualified service technician inspect your entire propane system to ensure that it is leak free.
Propane Safety Tutorials
View short interactive tutorials on the most frequently asked propane safety questions.
What to Do If You Smell Gas
Running Out of Gas
Lighting Pilot Lights
Maintaining Your Propane Appliances
Using Space Heaters Safely
Carbon Monoxide Safety
Winter Storm Preparedness